Monday, July 26, 2004

 

A Goofy Poem

It's getting harder and harder to write, because there is so much running through my head. If I had a bajillion thoughts running through my head before, now I must have a gazillion. Those of you who know about those very large powers of ten know what I mean. For those of you who don't, I will just tell you here: there are a million bajillion in a gazillion. Simple enough, eh? But the problem with all these thoughts is that I haven't taken the time to sit down and go over all these things that I've been thinking. That's why I haven't been writing much for a little while.

But I was feeling rather saucy this morning at about 4:00, and so I decided to write a poem. I was thinking about these conversations I've had recently in which I've mentioned the song "The Scientist" by Coldplay. I really like that song, but I think the song had to be written a dozen times before it got that good. So here's my suggestion of what Coldplay's "Scientist" might have written as a first draft.



"For the Scientist's Beloved"

My love, you are more beautiful to me than my hypothetical proof of Fermat's Last Theorem.

Your face and the symmetry exhibited therein is more lovely than the radial symmetry present in Pisaster giganteus.

Your eyes, while reflecting electromagnetic waves with a wavelength of only 450 nanometers, cause an effect of a resonant nature in me when the cones and rods of my retinae are activated by their light.

Your proportions are more aesthetically pleasing than the golden ratio itself.

My cardiac muscle contracts and expands in cycles of decreasing period when my neurons are alerted to your presence.

I smile at the very vibration of my tympana in reaction to the compression waves emitted from your larynx.

Your emanations cause a soothing olfactory response for me.

To ponder both your inner and outer beauty is better than to ponder the dual nature of light.

Before I was even able to perceive the proverbial primary seismic waves you released to my life, my world was shaken by the secondary and tertiary waves.

You are the outside force spoken of in Newton's First Law of Motion that changed my inertia by giving magnitude and direction to my state of rest.

My love, you are the cosmos to me: You are my Milky Way and Andromeda, my quarks and neutrinos.



Yeah, most of the people in the world shouldn't write poetry. I'm one of those people. I actually probably shouldn't even read poetry ever, because it's too far above me. But that's my poem I wrote. Hope you enjoyed it!

Comments:
hmmm...i'm actually speechless about this one!
 
saucy-ness suits you, joel. excellent poem. ----haley.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?