Wednesday, June 30, 2004

 

Three in a Row

Yesterday, for the third week in a row, I ate pizza on two-for-one Tuesday at Domino's. This time I ate pizza with some of my former students. One just graduated, and the other recently returned from a two-year furlough. I guess the latter will be my student again this year, if I want to get technical about it. Or maybe he won't, depending on the classes I teach and the classes he takes.

Speaking of the school, I just heard the news today that the school has bought property of its own. For as long I know, the schools here on the northside of Mexico City have been renting. The place where the school was located when I was here was actually rented from a mission organization that was renting the property itself from the owners. That property was sold as I was leaving in December 2002, and the school moved sometime during the spring of 2003. That, too, was a rental property, being shared with a church and a Mexican preschool. But now the school owns its own property. I actually don't know how the deal was worked out, with who owns what, but perhaps now we can work on things other than worrying about the next time we'll have to move (once we get this move out of the way). I haven't seen the place, but the people who have seen it have said good things about the land and the buildings. I hate moving, but it looks like I'll be working with the school's moving process during the next couple of months, before the new year starts in late August. So in the last three years, the school has had three different homes.

Speaking of moving, I will be moving again pretty soon, perhaps this weekend. I am actually used to the house where I am now, but it is far away from the people and the places I know. Traffic getting out here can also be a bear during the peak hours, which can last until pretty late in this part of the city. Today I saw the house to which I will be moving. Its layout and paint scheme are definitely more Mexican than either this or my old house, but it seems like a decent place. The people living there now told me that they have enjoyed the place, and that they haven't had any big problems with anything. So that's good. I'm not looking forward to moving stuff and figuring everything out all over again in a new house, but I reckon I'll be okay. I hope it doesn't take me long to adjust; it took me a little while to get adjusted to living here in this house. Hmmm... So this new house will be the third house I've lived in in Mexico. I've stayed here and there in places for a day or two at a time, but I really only lived in one house my first term, then this house where I've lived for a month, now this new I house where I'll be living in a few days.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?