Saturday, January 22, 2005

 

Singing Loudly

I had pizza from Domino's for supper tonight. It's called "Hawaiian chick" and it has chicken, bacon, pineapple, cheddar and mozzarella, and barbecue sauce... everything good I could ever think to put on a pizza... except hot sauce. But this pizza doesn't need hot sauce, because it already has barbecue sauce. It is so good! I could eat 6 large pizzas of this type! Not really....

I went to a thing today way out there in Tultitlan. It was on the far side of the northeast section of Tultitlan, mind you. We were at a church for a training session for church planters. The point of this is that every person in the church is not only a church planter, but a trainer. Each one trains others to plant house churches, and those who are trained will in turn train others. That is the focus now here in Mexico City... with our mission anyway. It was long... long... very long.... But it was good. And I really enjoyed the music. The microphones and instruments and everything were just unnecessarily loud, but sometimes that can be a good thing. Because I enjoy singing loudly but don't sing well, with so much noise to drown me out I can sing as loud as I want and bother no one with my horrible off-key squeaky singing. We sang one of my favorite Mexican songs "Te Alabaré," as well as a bunch of songs I had never heard before. I don't go to churches very often that have music like that where I can blast out like I enjoy doing from time to time.

I am reading the book "Shadow of the Almighty" right now. I tell you what, Jim Elliot was a genius. The book is composed primarily of excerpts from his journal and letters written to his friends and family. Most of what I've read so far was written in the late 1940's. That was a time when letter-writing was still an important form of communication, and his letters are incredible to read in their density and depth. His journal entries are perhaps even more dense and deep, because of their distinctly "spiritual" nature. And he wrote all these things while he was still in college. I've been out of college for 4.5 years now, and I can hardly write a silly blog entry. I wish I could quote whole pages from the book here for you. You'll just have to read it. While you're at it, read "The Screwtape Letters" also. If you've already read either or both of those, read them again. They're worth it. May I point you specifically to Screwtape's letter number 12?

It is raining here. It hasn't rained all month. But it's January, and it's not supposed to rain. It's okay though... I'm sure the ground will appreciate it. And with all the dust in the air, maybe this rain will settle the dust, for a day at least. And the guys who wash cars at the grocery store parking lots will have a busy time during the next few days. They actually stay pretty busy all the time. It is rare to see a dirty car here. My car is an exception. I'm usually not planning on spending enough time at the store to get my car washed, and I don't know any of the people in my neighborhood who wash cars, so my car is usually quite dusty.

I guess I'm rambling. No need for that! So I'll stop abruptly...... right..... now!

Comments:
shadow of the almighty...is that the book written by elisabeth elliot? if it's the same one i'm thinking of, i read that a few years ago. it's a great book and very inspirational!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?