Monday, June 19, 2006

 

Getting Old

I have many vague memories. Here's one of them. When my brothers and I were kids, we were eating at Taco Bell, and my little brother went up to the register by himself to get something (for dessert, or maybe another taco or something). I remember either my older brother or I telling him to make lots of noise and bang the coins on the counter so the person working the register wouldn't ignore him.

We don't have to do that anymore. We've gotten older. I thought of that vague The colorful boats on the ancient canals in Xochimilcomemory when thinking about the latest thing that happened to me and told me that I'm continually getting older.

Mexico is full of street vendors, sidewalk vendors, church vendors, and vendors in just about any place where you can find people to buy things. One of the lines they've been using ever since I got to Mexico (especially the ones selling flowers and cruddy jewelry) is, "For your girlfriend." I was in Xochimilco two weeks ago, and a canal vendor was selling some junk (I don't even remember what it was), and when I said I didn't want anything, he came back with, "For your wife." Arrrgh!! I'm getting old!!

Comments:
Maybe he was prophesying?

I'll always be ahead of you in the aging thing...don't worry, it's not as bad as you think!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?