Friday, June 23, 2006

 

Five Points

  1. I am excited to officially welcome into the group of "faithful readers" a long-time hero of mine in Mexico. Welcome, Greta! One of these days I'll read your blog!
  2. I saw one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time yesterday. Sorry, Greta, I'm not talking about you anymore. Although you are one of the coolest people I've seen in a long time. Yesterday I was on the metro going to Xochimilco (my favorite place in the city), and inside one of the dark tunnels some company has placed all these signs that, when the train is moving, work together to make a movie. I marveled as I watched two Chrysler Voyagers drive into the picture while staring at the normally dark tunnel walls. It was one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. What genius!
  3. It took two hours to get to Xochimilco on public transportation. It took three hours to get home in private transportation. Xochimilco is about 25 miles from my house.
  4. How confusing is the English language to people who aren't native speakers? Why do we "get on" public transportation but "get in" private transportation? How many times have I heard non-native speakers talking about getting on the car? Okay, not that many. But it does give me a funny mental image.
  5. I was looking into other cars while stuck in traffic on the way home last night. One reason is that I wasn't driving, so I didn't have to watch the road. Another reason is that I was riding in a big van, so I was up high enough to see into most cars. I was looking into this fancy Audi, noticing the fancy navigation and entertainment systems and stuff. It reminded me of the little personal entertainment system on the plane I flew on to Korea last year. It had games, music, movies, news, and stuff like that. I watched a few movies and listened to some music. Honestly though, how much J-pop can a person listen to before it all starts sounding the same?

Comments:
Hi Joel.
Yes, I am a faithful reader.

So, I remember a lot of my Hispanic friends (who grew up in the USA) saying, "I am going to get down from the car." instead of get out of the car. In Spanish people say, "Bajar del coche, camion, etc." Funny how some things get translated that way!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?